Tuesday 19 May 2015

Body Worlds

About ten years ago, an exhibition called Body Worlds visited The Vancouver Science Centre. Since we were members and living close by, I decided to take our two older boys to see the German plastinated bodies while my husband visited the less risqué exhibits with the younger children. We were about a third the way through the show when No. 2 realized that the bodies, which had been stripped of skin and posed in various stances, were real. I saw his expression evolve from one of interest to revulsion to near panic. We had to get out quick.







Fast forward a decade and I once again had the chance to see the plastination technique developed by Dr. Gunther von Hagens here at the new wing of Memorial University’s medical school. Dr. Shakti Chandra, who mounted the exhibit, had the opportunity to work with Dr. von Hagens and somehow bring the body parts to Canada. Must have been some interesting customs paperwork.



I found the show quite informative, and the med-school students who answered questions were well-informed and engaging. One told me the name for the mitral valve of the heart originated from the latin mitre. Apparently somebody back in the day thought the valve looked like the mitre, you know the bishop’s hat we try to emulate while folding napkins?

Most interesting however were the feet showing all the tendons and nerves. For almost four years I have suffered from plantar fasciitis and Achilles tendonitis in my left heel. It was great to actually see how all the tendons and nerves in the heel are attached to the bottom of the foot. I have my handy-dandy Gray’s Anatomy fact-filled colouring book, but there’s nothing like the real thing to show me exactly where I’ve done damage.


All in all Dr. Chandra’s exhibit was educational, but afterwards I was not in the mood for turkey soup. 


No comments:

Post a Comment